Apple Watch Noir
It's now been just over two weeks into wearing an Apple Watch every day and I've been thinking that it could be a great villain is anyone is up for writing a tech crime drama. Something dark and suspenseful, but full of all those accurate details that make it feel true to life. That's really why I immediately loved a show like Veronica Mars so quickly; every little technical detail was spot on (like how she actually used the Mail.app to send an email and Image Capture to import her camera photos).
My pitch for an Apple Watch thriller isn't so much turning Siri into HAL9000, e.g "I'm sorry, I can't text someone to rescue you right now, Dave", but more Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's a device that a small but sizable portion of the population have willingly attached to our bodies for an extended period of time ... what happens if it decided to start sending data back through those sensors? Apple never said they weren't two-way. We have to ask ourselves, if I fall asleep wearing my Apple Watch, does it also dream? And if it does, does it dream of escaping it's Milanese Loop confines?
With how disruptive adding an iPhone to your life already is (corrupting our global attention span and social skills) it's not that far of a leap to wonder how much control over us these little black mirrors* would have if they could sent an electronic pulse back our way. Routed just right, the pretty little gadget that I use to keep track of Instagram mentions and daily calories could easily become a vile mechanized overlord that still has over 60% battery left.
Alright Internet. There's your starting point; it simple, I know. But if you write it, I'm down for designing the book jacket ;)
*By the way, if any of this sounds entertaining to you and you have still yet to watch the great UK series Black Mirrors, drop everything and go now. It is so very much a modern day Twilight Zone. As Todd VanDerWerff at Vox mentions, I recommend not starting with episode one as it is quite a doozie but definitely come back to it.
- Sunday Afternoon Movies
- It’s strikes back time … with our two cents on a few more movie trailers.I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With – So this is pretty much just Jeff Garlin’s real life problems, with some clean Sarah Silverman fun. Huh.The Comebacks – Makes more sense than “Walk Hard”, but still looks dumb.Eastern Promises – Viggo ...
- Trailer Night! Trailer Night!
- It was a full night on Sunday … Courtney, Jimison, Ben, Jodie and myself … let’s hope it made for some fun movie trailer reviews. You tell me.Run Fat Boy Run – “It’s the fat little engine that could!” – BenThe Dark Knight – “Summer 2008 … not soon enough.” – CourtneyVince Vaughn’s Wild West ...
- Fixing Perspective Distortion on iOS
- Image credit: Chris Connolly of Instagram Since one of the recent updates to Instagram added their superbly simple image correction tools, namely the perspective distortion adjustments, I have been trying to find a good "out of app" alternative. This is one of those times where the developers have gotten the tool so right that I would use ...
- Movie Trailer Guild logo
- Movie Trailer Guild logo (uploaded by DRA Studio)After a crazy time dealing with an odd waitress at Denny’s, Courtney and I enjoyed some yummy movie trailers. Peep the links and comments and have some fun.Sixty SixOscar – “66? How long did they wait to have this bar mitzvah?Courtney – “They must have changed the ...
- American Hustle (2013)
- 2 out of 10 obvious hairpieces I had so much excitement for this movie and despite a slow build leading to an intriguing turn, it still felt sufficiently underwhelming. Maybe I was suckered in by the appealing 70's poster style and groovy teaser audio track. Maybe it is as simple as that enticing neckline on Amy ...