Fill up your ears and your Podcasts app
While I'm not among those that berate Apple against their use of "skeuomorphic" design (e.g. the boys at The Verge or most of Leo Laporte and his crew) and definitely enjoyed the appealing little reel-to-reel animation in Apple's first attempt at a iOS podcast app, seeing the app hit an actual stride in version 1.2 is very welcome.
As a daily user of the app, with at least a couple of different podcast networks spin thing through my phone, it's nice to see some real functionality come to it. The ability to pick up where you left of between iPad and iPhone is nothing short of magical ... unless you take it in context with what everyone else is already doing (Audible, Amazon, etc.). Then it just makes sense.
There are plenty of other write ups out there to guide you through all the knit picking of what Apple also .2 changed ... I just want to share with you and catalogue for my future self (yes that's for you, HIMYM) what I'm listening to these days, as well as some favorites from days gone by. Lets' get into it!
These are my gotos that I usually listen to (or will pull up a video stream of) on a daily basis; it's mostly tech-related but there are a few other gems in there as well.
I don't always have time for these, but do enjoy when I get a chance to indulge.
- Old Tech News
- The Interface
- MP3 of the Day: Spinner
- Real Life Podcast
- 99% Invisible
- The Talk Show (with John Gruber)
There are usually a few oddities that I try to push into the mix, so don't judge me on any of these ... they're just here for some variety.
- Mars Hill Church: Mark Driscoll
- Judge John Hodgman
- Back to Work
- The Incomparable
- Hypothetical Podcast
- The Nerdist
Some of these are long gone, while others you can still access the archives of and make them enjoyable all over again. And others are still kicking, but I've moved on.
- Hillman Curtis - Artist Series
- The Beatles Complete on Ukulele/
- Tooth and Nail
- Focus on the Family
- Neue Magazine
- We Hate Movies
- The Accidental Creative
- The Big Web Show
- The Design View Show
- How Stuff Works
- Relevant Podcast
- Boys of Tech
- The Box
- Comic Geek Speak
- The Ben Heck Show
- Doug Loves Movies
- The Bugle
- You Look Nice Today
That's it! There is a comprehensive list of all the things I have been sticking in my ears, podcast-wise, for the last few days, weeks and even years. I hope you enjoyed, and if you share any of the same or have some unbelievably good recommendations, please feel free to share.
- New Podcast Added
- Take a quick trip over to the iTunes Podcast Directory and subscribe to me and Jodie's first ever podcast, "Twizzlers at the Movies"! We are hoping to add more episodes soon, but for now it has our review of the newly released Superman Returns film, which we enjoyed this past Saturday. Feel free to make comments ...
- Trailer Bemusing
- Another few days of keeping busy with teaching and freelance work, reading through comic books and watching old TV Serieses (?), and painting and drawing whenever I get the chance ... and another set of quick movie trailer reviews, just because I love watching them o' so much. Mammoth I have no idea was this movie is ...
- In the works
- I am working hard to get a new site framework implemented - basically it will visually be the same, except for a few minor tweaks here and there. The majority of the work is being done to the code, in order to make all of DRA Studio fully XHTML and CSS (Table-less) valid ... meaning ...
- Brick (2005)
- Brick (2005) (uploaded by DRA Studio)5 out of 5 glasses of country Apple JuiceI usually don't like writing up reviews for movies I consider my favorites, which this film immediately became one of ... so go check out what this guy said instead or comment with what you thought about it. ...
- Ketchup Trailers
- Just a few quick thoughts to catch me up on Apple's wonderful RSS feed ... Despicable Me Oh this looks like fun! Thanks to the great Character Design blog for pointing it out! Ong Bak 2 Oh yea! This looks sweet! I am so ready for some new Tony Jaa fun. I also don't own The Protector yet ... ...