Brittany's iBook G3
Yesterday I fixed an iBook for Brittany Kopp:
Seconds after startup (before the ‘chime’) a Kernel Panic would occur, forcing Brittany to restart the machine.
Could be an issue with a startup item, a corrupted font, or a something similar. It might be a hardware issue (i.e. memory failure), so it would be good to try booting into "Safe Mode" first.
(Sidenote: The machine was kinda dirty, which most likely unrelated, but it doesn't hurt to return the machine cleaner than you found it).
# Restarted machine in Safe Mode by pressing Power button and the Shift key at the same time.
# Removed unnecessary installations of "AOL Instant Messenger" (yes, the AOL version, not iChat).
# Checked "Login Items" in System Preferences, just to be sure there were no conflicts.
# Ran Tiger version of Cocktail to check disk permissions, remove temporary files and caches, redo pre-bindings, etc.
# Rebooted machine.
At this point, the iBook restarted but after the main loading window, the startup process was kicked back to the Darwin Single-User Mode and asked for a user login and password. Looks like the initial problem was corrected, but in the process, the link between the startup process and the Login Window had been misplaced/damaged. I have fixed this in the past by running an Mac OSX System Upgrade Installers so:
- Rebooted the machine in Safe Mode.
- It didn't have an Airport Card, so I connected it via ethernet to a MacBook (turning 'Internet Sharing' on) to access the internet.
- Ran Software Update and downloaded/installed all updates.
- The machine rebooted and logged in with no problems.
- Lucie's iBook G4
- Yesterday I fixed an iTunes issue for Lucie Bazin:ProblemLucie had added several CDs of music to her iTunes but after she restarted, none of them were showing up in the Library. Also, she originally put music on her 2nd Gen iPod nano with a PC and now that she was trying to synchronize with her ...
- Apple fixings
- More of a self-reminder than anything else, here are two recent Apple MacBook issues and their respective solutions:Josh VanTassel’s MacBookIssue: When attempting to boot up, after the initial gray screen, a black screen with the message “Error : non-system disk. Press any key to reboot.” appears and will not go away without a force-reboot.Resolution: ...
- Snow Leopard needs a default timezone
- I happend to be testing one of the current Illustrative projects locally and notice the following PHP error on my date('y') function: Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and ...
- It has its Ups and Downs
- Wow! It's been awhile since I put anything here. Don't blame me ... the fault lies with that dang Illustrative. and all the bass-playing I have been doing. Despite my best efforts, I can only either stay productive and complete projects on time (which makes my clients love me) or blog, rss, draw, and socialize. ...
- Backing up Tweets
- The longer Twitter continues without a solid business model, the less trusting I become in the stability of their social system and in the safe-keeping of all those tweets I have spent so much time in writing. In fact, I think a problem that is going to surface very soon (once more people become aware ...