Edward Scissorhands (1990)
3 out of 5 stabs with safety scissors
Jodie and Michelle made me sit down last night and watch this for the first time. And seeing that Jodie was nice enough to cook homemade lasagna for me, how could I say “no”?
I quickly realized that this movie was not at all what I have always thought it was and that it actually had some merit (beyond just everyone being in love with Johnny Depp). It was really astonishing to see how Tim Burton masterfully created that same dark and slightly demented look and feel his later digital works have, but here in a completely solid and physical way. Seeing Winona Ryder in this early role was enjoyable as well.
I was thrown off a bit at first by the seemingly vague time-period of the movie; with references to the 1950s, as well as the 1980s, it felt poorly planned and hastened. As the movie progressed, I reconciled those thoughts and allowed the differences to be attributed to the director's possible desire to make the movie "timeless", as well as implement familiar iconic aspects of culture that provided that small-town feel.
Though not nearly one of my favorites, but most definitely a surprising watch, I would at least recommend this for everyone to watch at least once. Besides, how else would you discover your pre-goth self?
- Putting a Face to the Voice
- I don't think I've seen this done before, beside at the end of The Simpsons Movie, but I love that IMDB has the animated cast of Atlantis : The Lost Empire tiled up with the actors that voiced them. It is so much fun remembering who the people are behind such funny moments in that ...
- Elizabethtown (2005)
- 4 out of 5 drunken bathrobe rendezvousesDirected by Cameron Crowe Isn't it funny how sometimes just the look of a movie trailer can entice you enough to want to see the movie? Or how it can make you so anxious for the movie, you wait in anticipation for months just to catch another glimpse? That is ...
- Tumbling Trailers
- Yet another thick set of movie trailer reviews by Oscar ... It Might Get Loud This looks fantastic. It is coming to the Enzian on Sunday ... anyone want to join me in seeing it? The Book of Eli Interesting ... I wasn't so sure about Mila Kunis and the whole post-apocalypictic story, but this new trailer makes it ...
- Hot off the Griddle Trailers
- I just got caught up on my Apple Trailers, so here’s the rundown on what looks good and what I wouldn’t waste my money on.Dedication – This looks like something that will be honest and real. I think I will like the ungrounded nature of Billy Crudup’s character (He was great in MI:III). And why ...
- Comeback Kid Trailers
- A fresh set of trailers for you to enjoy this wonderful March weekend. Enjoy! Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter This video is super goofy! Good thing it is just to promote the book and not for anything serious. The Runaways Looks like this possibly good idea has a full trailer now ... I'm still not sure about Dakota Fanning ...