IMPACT this weekend was pretty amazing. Not only was I really pleased with my bass playing for our sets, but I have heard so many great things already about how we did. Yes, that was me on stage ... the kid in the Karate Kid bandana, killin' it rockstar style. :D
And even more than being pleased with how the band did, I was totally psyched about how much the kids/teens enjoyed us and how much they were able to take away from the worship sessions with Josh Finkler. And of course, it doesn't hurt that plenty of people had great words to say about my shirts and were interested in having some Oscar-art of their own. Chhsk
So, I have been thinking about getting a new bass. I mean, I do like my most recent (2 years now?) bass plenty ... but it is just a Carlo Robelli 5-string with built-in pre-amp ... nothing too special, and I think I have outgrown its look and feel. And as much as I like having a 5-string, I really don't like any of the available options that any of the big guys put out (Fender, Gibson, etc.) ... most are just so ugly and pretentious.
Everyone has been recommending Fender Precision Basses to me, and a few of them are in the picture above, but I also had my eye on a few others. I really like the look of the Gibson Thunderbird IV, but I hear some disconcerting things about its weight and playability. And even before I saw the Dark Romantics girl with a Rickenbacker, I have loved the way they look. But I am pretty much pushed that aside, since I have been told more than a few times that they lack the low-end a better bass can deliver.
So right now, I think I am really into the Fender Reissue '51. It's simple and slick, with just a touch of retro-goodness. And the more I see the butterscotch blonde color, the more I like it.
- Just My Luck (2006)
- Just My Luck (2006) (uploaded by DRA Studio)2 out of 5 bubbly washer overloadsUm, this was another one that Jodie and Michelle forced me to watch. It’s pretty much what you would expect from another Lindsay Lohan movie, with typical drama and predictable outcomes. Granted, for what this movie lacked in originality, it made up ...
- Sloshing Puddles!
- Jodie is apparently the new bass player for the Sloshing Puddles, so I thought I would make a logo for them. :) Oh, and I was sick last week, so blame that for the lack of posting. I know I do. ...
- Goodbye Ibanez
- Well, it is a sad farewell, but my first bass has a new home. A better home. A put-to-good-use-with-lots-of-punk-rock home. Thanks Justin for taking care of my glittery-blue baby. ...
- Despite having to endure some pretty weak dialogue and plot points (some of which I apparently used to enjoy), I will always still watch and love Gone in 60 Seconds ... if for nothing else than getting to see that beautiful '67 Shelby Mustang GT 500. I still have yet to see the H.B. Halicki's 1974 ...
- Thursday the 9th
- Today was really a pretty exceptional day. The usual hanging out with friends and eating lunch togther, of course ... but I even worked in some sketching and inking, spray painting a new project and a little bass practice too. Last night's LOST fall season finale was quite spectacular. Maybe not so much, in that ...