What will You give up?
Right now at FCC we are in the middle of a 40 days of Sacrifice event ... an opportunity for each of us to sacrifice something -- in appreciation of the sacrifice made by Christ, in devotion of wanting to draw closer to his will, and in dedication to ourselves in setting a goal and being able to see it to the completion. The end of the 40 days brings us to the time of rememberance of not only Christ's death on the cross, but more importantly (and the reason for our Easter celebrations), his life after the cross.
While I am sure in your mind you are already comtemplating how similar to Lent this event is ... the difference here is that it is a personal sacrifice. No one is forcing you and there is no need to announce to everyone what it is you are giving up. Keep in mind the scripture from Matthew chapter 6:
"Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you."
It's not about appearances, it's not about rituals ... it is about growth and a small denial of self.
(Props to Andrew Sale on his design for the 40 Days posters ...)
- Balloon Skirts!
- O man ... you guys (you know who you are!) ... thanks for the great mental imagery and for helping Elliot to wonderfully celebrate his 21st birthday yesterday. By the way, here are my Chapel notes for today: Tim Tedrick Theme: Fasting / Isaiah 58:12 Fasting can be an outward action without the proper inner attitude. Christ is seeking ...
- Free Willy (1993)
- 3 out of 5 ketchup-covered wedding cakesDirected by Simon Wincer Describing this movie is so difficult ... in one word, Magical. In several more words, Cheesy '90s Movie with a Bleeding Heart for Native Americans and Orca Whales. This is a classic that no one should ever escape this life without seeing. Unless of course you take ...
- Harboring from Much Sleep
- I don’t trust myself to sleep.Haunted by memories threaded in so deep.I see a face; a face I have never know,but one so lovely and dear, I continually yearn to own.She is a beauty, in vice and appeal,speaking words my dreams folly to reveal.The attraction by which she lures, I do not understand.Abounding wonderfulness that ...
- ... howdy and all that goodness. Hope your week is going really well. I know mine is. There was plenty of good Wii fun today and I always look forward to Band practice on Fridays. Oh, and if you don't mind ... keep me in your minds and prayers for the next couple days/weeks, as ...
- Face first
- A new face and feel to the studio is in the works (and if you are one of the privileged few, you have already seen some of it!), so keep those browsers open and the Refresh set at full! Off to the side here, is a toolbox image that Apple created to promote the newest version ...