Pray For Everyone (1/18/06)
1 TIMOTHY 2:1-8
I. PRAY FOR EVERYONE, IT IS GOOD
God says that it is good that you pray for everyone. There are many things in the Bible that are called good. God is the God of good. God calls the sunset, sunrise, green grass, watermelon, etc. good. The world was created by God and He called it good. And it is good and you enjoy its goodness. You can agree that nature can be quite beautiful and good as God says it is.
But God is just not a naturalist. God says that things like love and kindness and unity are good things as well. In Psalms 133:1 it says, how good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity. I have been on both sides of it. I have had the roommates that all got along, and the roommates that you just didnâ€™t work out living together. But the point is that you live together in unity and it is good.
APPLICATION: You need to pray in behalf of everyone, all kinds of men, whether you like them or not, whether you think they need it or not, because God says it is good; he says it is beautiful.
II. PRAY FOR EVERYONE, IT IS ACCEPTABLE
God continues and says that you need to pray for everyone because it is acceptable.
Well God tells us here that the action of praying on behalf of all men, whether they love us or hate us, is acceptable to God. That means that you are doing something which God agrees. It pleases God when you in fact pray for others, whatever their circumstances are.
Well God here tells us that He is proud of us as His children when you pray for all men.
Godâ€™s son Jesus even taught this in Matthew 5:43-44. Remember his words in Matthew? God finds it acceptable when you pray in behalf of all men. He is proud of us for this. He was proud of Jesus when Jesus prayed for those who put him on the cross. He is also proud of you, when you pray for the man you dislike, or pray for your authorities, or for your friend, for everyone.
APPLICATION: You need to pray for everyone because it is acceptable to God.
III. PRAY FOR EVERYONE, IT REFLECTS GODâ€™S DESIRE
And finally you need to pray for everyone because it reflects Godâ€™s desire.
One of the more evident truths of the Bible is that God loves the world, God loves sinners. And because he loves sinners, he wants us to have a relationship. And you can achieve that relationship because his of His Son Jesus. The verses say (vs. 4-6). God says that he wants and desires all men to come to him through Christ. That means that God loves all men.
There was a man of science who was conducting an experiment on prayer. He wanted to test the power of prayer so he took a hospital ward or patients with similar illnesses and split the ward in two. He then got a group of religious people to pray for the one and not for the other. Now this experiment is repulsive to us because a may is arbitrarily choosing one group of people for which to pray and purposefully ignoring another group of people in the name of science. This is so despicable to us because this is not how God operates and this is not how God teaches us to operate with prayer. He does not tell us to choose one group of people for which to pray and purposefully ignore another group in prayer. No God loves the world and tells us that you must also show love towards the world. And one of the ways you can show love is to pray on behalf of all men, not purposefully neglecting any.
APPLICATION: You have heard it was written that you are to love as Christ loved us. Well in this passage you are told to intercede in prayer for all men as Christ died for all men.
- Brownie Outreach
- Today a group of people from ACT will be using brownies as outreach at Valencia Community College. Some people baked brownies and some are passing them out to the students. For those of us in class or at work today, please take the time to pray that this outreach will be good for ...
- Mature Love (2/1/06)
- Philipians 1:9-11 Paul here tells us that a mature love increases in knowledge and discernment. PROPOSITION: A mature love increases in knowledge and discernment I. YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND JUDGMENT NEEDS TO WORK WITH YOUR LOVE Knowledge is a key part of love that enhances the quality of love. Now the knowledge and discernment that Paul speaks of here is relating ...
- A.C.T.'s Focuses on Fellowship (2/15/06)
- The name of our group here on Wednesday nights is Advancing Christian Togetherness or A.C.T. as appropriately titled. The ultimate goal of being together is to fellowship with one another, building one another up in love and unity. The leadership for our group have named this group and set goals of advancing this ...
- I’ve had the words of a song I heard at Status last week stuck in my head for awhile, and after shaking around in my head a bit, this wallpaper is what they turned into. I hope you enjoy, and for those interested, here are my notes from the speaker that night. The song is called ...
- Friday the 10th
- Sometimes days are supposed to go one one way and end up going another. I think I was hoping today would be one of those really great and amazing Fridays that I later dream about returning to or skipping work for -- but looking back, I feel like a good chunk of the enjoyment ...