King Kong (2005)
4 out of 5 gross face-sucking slugsDirected by Peter Jackson
This was a pretty good movie, with only a few minor flaws that had me bring it down by one star. Here we go:
- Opening titles: Simplistic, yet perfectly fulfilling
- Landscape, era, and costume design: Astounding. As a period piece, this was magnificent. Old New York looks amazing and feels so real.
- CGI: O man! King Kong looks so very real. The face, the hair, the expressions ... everything works and works well. Kudos to Wellywood studios!
- T-Rex battle scenes: Spectacular and really really long ... so you are sure to get your fill of the amazing snaps, snarls and jaw-ripping action!
- The death of Andy Circus: Trust me, once you've seen it, you'll know what I mean.
- Lack of occasional character closure: Captain Englehorn, Hayes and Jimmy ... sure Hayes gets a form of closure, but its seems as though they are really built up and then, nothing.
UPDATE: I just saw this for the second time a few days ago and I have to say that almost all the things I didn't like about it the first time were pretty much resolved by watching and enjoying it again. Not only has my confidence in Peter Jackson's directing been solidified, but now I am sure that I really like this movie.
- Summer Trailings
- Here’s Round Three of my upcoming movie trailer reviews … this time curteous of the sweet HD Movie Trailers section of the iTunes Store that I forgot was there.Dan in Real Life – Was it just me or was this an unusual story-line that developed as the trailer went on? I won’t see this because ...
- Sunday Afternoon Movies
- It’s strikes back time … with our two cents on a few more movie trailers.I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With – So this is pretty much just Jeff Garlin’s real life problems, with some clean Sarah Silverman fun. Huh.The Comebacks – Makes more sense than “Walk Hard”, but still looks dumb.Eastern Promises – Viggo ...
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- Edward Scissorhands (1990) (uploaded by DRA Studio)3 out of 5 stabs with safety scissorsJodie and Michelle made me sit down last night and watch this for the first time. And seeing that Jodie was nice enough to cook homemade lasagna for me, how could I say “no”? I quickly realized that this movie was not at ...
- Swinging into Action!
- Aha! Finally the first Spider-Man 3 trailer has arrived. The sweet 480p version is setting itself into the zeros and ones of my hardrive as I type this. Check it out and let me know your thoughts! Also, if you haven't already peep'd the trailer for Ghost Rider, stop dilly-dallying and get to it! It already ...
- The Island (2005)
- 4 out of 5 flammable nike suitsDirected by Michael Bay Unique and under appreciated. Great acting by Ewan and Scarlett and some really amazing chase sequences. Definitely a good Netflix choice if you are looking for an action-filled movie night. Just watch out for that one "F-bomb" that they sneak in right near the end of ...