Monsters, Inc. (2001)
5 out of 5 growling toilet seatsDirected by Peter Docter
Another visual masterpiece from the gang over at Pixar, "Monsters, Inc." is a tantalizing treat for the eyes, ears and laughs ... er, mouth.
Though everyone seems to love the dead-pan, fighting-through-gravel voice of Roz, my personal favorite is Mike Wazowski. No matter how many times I see this movie, I always laugh when he accidentally hits himself with anti-bacterial spray in his one eye and then suffers from severe irritation! It's just one of those small but o, so perfect details that you can see in everything Pixar has done. In contrast, we could look at something like Disney's third sequel to Cinder-Pixie-Dust-ella, where any attempt at an actual story has been rejected in favor of another variation on a pink wedding dress.
If you pay close attention, you will be able to perceive a great exposition about governmental agencies and the ridiculous protocol and absurd conventions they adhere to. "23-19!" Ah, beautiful!
Probably the best thing about this film is the absolutely stunning quality - of not only the characters, voices and plot, but the visuals as well. Audiences praised Pixar for the amazing 3D animation that came out of "Toy Story", but Monsters, I takes it like 12 steps further with the vast improvement of animation, details and textures. There are some moments when you just want to reach out and hug the big furry Sully character or when you are certain that Boo is the little girl that used to live down the street from you. Dreamworks, toss out your crap and study this stuff for about 9 years ... because P-I-X-A-R has you beat.
- Wallace & Gromit : Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
- 5 out of 5 golden carrot bulletsDirected by Steve Box, Nick Park Astounding animation. Delightful characters. Family fun for all. In just a few nutty peanut shells, that is what you can expect from the new Wallace and Gromit film. I have always enjoyed the animated shorts that feature these two and seeing them in their own ...
- IF : Voices
- My late night entry for this week’s Illustration Friday theme of “voices”.All I hear at timesare the streaming soundsof monsters all around,as they surround. ...
- Chicken Little (2005)
- 3 out of 5 big chicken heads wearing glasses Despite Disney's best attempts to make me want to see this film (trendy commercials, slick looking advertisements, super prominent hype), I really had not interest. It really just looked like Disney's attempt at doing something 3D and fun, without having to pay Pixar for the awesomeness. My father-in-law ...
- Sunset Creek
- While watching "The Never-ending Story," I was sketching alot. This subtle little pencil work is one of those. I had forgotten how much of the story and how many of the character quirks I really enjoyed in that movie ... but check out my Local Cinema blog for more on that. This one came out exactly as ...
- Smokin' Aces (2006)
- Smokin’ Aces (2006) (uploaded by DRA Studio)5 out of 5 burst and bloody arteriesJust watched Smokin’ Aces the other night. Wow. And more wow. While there is far too much profanity and bloodshed to safely recommend this to any of my friends, it is by far one of the best movies I have seen in ...