Comic Book Villains (2002)
2 out of 5 ridiculous police actionsDirected by James Robinson
Although the Netflix trailer and synopsis showed some promise for this independent-like comic book romp, things pretty much went downhill after the initial plot was unveiled. There are just some movies that would work out better as SNL sketches (can you say 'Kicking and Screaming'?).
The casting wasn't too bad, and actually it was Cary Elwes' role that attracted us to the movie. He did an excellent job playing a grimaced, stone-cold "killer", especially in his opening sequence, as he single-handedly beats the crap out of like 5 guys. The only undoing I saw in his role was that his relationship to the stripper (and constant audience participated visitation of such) was really unnecessary. Its seems as if James and Donal were just trying to appease the fanboy lust for sex as cheaply as possible. O well ... another FF on the remote.
As a whole this movie is fantastic. It expertly portrays the relationship and lifestyle that is comic reading/collecting/selling. There were a few geeky moments that I am sure I have witnessed at our local comic shop. Upon further scrutiny though, this movie lost a lot of respect and rating stars. Reasons? Read on.
Although the story was a seemingly great one, the need to have friends, family, and spouses brutally betray and/or murder others was quite a stretch as well as sicking as to how far gone their greed had become (though it probably could have been realistic in respect to the goal of their undertakings). Another major flaw was the inordinate usage of foul language. Some things were slightly permissible, but my overall recommendation is to steer clear of this one, if for no other reason than to save your innocent ears.
- Portrait : Bob Marley
- I decided for the next few days/weeks to try my hand at portrait drawings … Since, I frequently find myself really disliking any sketches or illustrations I try to create of actual people, I figured it might be helpful to actually try and get better at it.Here is the first of the series … thanks ...
- Orange County (2002)
- 3 out of 5 mistaken pill bottles Even though I am feeling a bit under the weather today (I'm not sure if it is the flu or just a bad sore throat), I am still trying be up and about, doing things. So while taking care of the dishes in the sink and eating lunch, I ...
- Summer Trailings
- Here’s Round Three of my upcoming movie trailer reviews … this time curteous of the sweet HD Movie Trailers section of the iTunes Store that I forgot was there.Dan in Real Life – Was it just me or was this an unusual story-line that developed as the trailer went on? I won’t see this because ...
- Monday, the 13th
- Here is the PDF-printable version of this Color Me! Love is only as good as you make it out to be. Dating and marriage can only reflect what is put into those relationships. I think both are very much like any precious piece of art or well-crafted literary wonder. The more time you commit and ...
- Darth Vader Wants You
- Nick had asked for this a long while ago, but I finally got some time this weekend to play around with big inks and more of that nice heavy white paper Dad gave me. This piece is, of course, based on James Montgomery Flagg's iconic "Uncle Sam" recruitment poster and was a lot of fun to ...